CT&C Home > Architecture > Religious Projects

Partial religious project list

 

Campbell Thomas & Company

Significant Architectural and Planning Projects

for Religious Properties

Beth Sholom Synagogue Keystone Grant Application
Location: 8231 Old York Rd., Elkins Park, PA
Contact: Harvey Friedrich, Exec. Dir., 215-887-4489
Completion Date: 2003
Notes: The Beth Sholom Synagogue, designed by renowned architect Frank Llyod Wright, is an icon of American architecture. Wright defined the building as the 1st American Synagogue because of its use of native materials, textures, and colors in demonstrating its Biblical roots to Judaism. Completed in 1957, the Synagogue is now in need of historically sensitive repairs including recoating of the lower roofs, repairing exterior masonry walls and application of watertight coating, restaining the entry step and walkway area. refinishing the Wright designed Bema Furniture used for ritual purposes, repairing upholstery of seat cushions and refinishing interior metal and glass doors. The Synagogue hired CT&C to research funding options for these repairs. CT&C later completed a Keystone Grant Application for the Synagogue.

United Methodist Church of Bala-Cynwyd
Location: 314 Levering Mill Rd, Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
Contact: Dr. G.H. Ferguson, 610-664-3894
Completion Date: 2001
Notes: CT&C was hired to provide architectural services relating to the proposed roofing warranty work at the Church. CT&C discussed with the Church and Roofing specialist a strategy for correcting work performed on the roof and develop a list of warranty, repair, corrective items, and if required, updated specifications.

Metropolitan Baptist Church
Location: 3500 Baring Street, Philadelphia PA 19104
Contact: Mr. Bernard Leonard, 215-748-5799
Completion Date: 1996
Notes: CT&C was hired to design and construct a new elevator to serve three levels of this 19th century church. Additionally, CT&C designed and constructed an air conditioning system for the sanctuary and main activity areas. All of which would blend into the existing historic fabric and character of the building.

First African Presbyterian Church
Location: 4159 Girard Avenue, Philadelphia PA
Contact: Mrs. Elizabeth Nolan, Church Historian, 215-747-1164
Completion Date: 1996
Notes: This study involved the review of the Church's exterior materials and conditions, with recommendations for priority items. With special assistance from our structural engineer, CT&C offered solutions to problems involving the decaying terra cotta ornaments, one of the recommended priority items.

St. George-St.Barnabas Church
Location: 520 S. 61st Street, Philadelphia PA
Contact: Mr. William Smallwood, 215-560-2165
Completion Date: 1996
Notes: As a result of combining two congregations, a master plan for architectural and programming services was in great need. The congregation hired CT&C for this planning, at which time CT&C discovered severe problems in the church's bell tower. In addition to completing the planning survey, CT&C coordinated emergency repairs for the bell tower, which was completely restored in the fall of 1995.

St. James Condominium
Location: 336 South Bellevue Avenue, Langhorne, Bucks Co., PA
Client: St. James Housing Corporation
Contact: Rev. Lloyd Winter, 215-757-3766
Completion Date: 1996
Notes: This Victorian rectory was converted into two separate condominium units, each with its own porch and outside entrance. CT&C incorporated into the design energy efficient improvements, while at the same time retaining interior and exterior historical features by following both the State and Local guidelines for historically certified structures.

St. Mary's Church
Location: Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia
Contact: Sr. Patricia Roux, 215-386-3916
Completion Date: 1996
Notes: St. Mary's hired CT&C to design and plan a new AIDS respite center in the former community space of the Church's parish house basement. They also requested CT&C to review the undercroft space of their church building as a possible new location for the existing food outreach programs, and for the church archives that are stored in the parish house basement.

Calvary Episcopal Church
Location: Pulaski and Manheim Streets, Germantown, Philadelphia PA
Contact: James Shaefer, Rector's Warden, 215-628-0337
Completion Date: 1995
Notes: CT&C was selected to convert this attractive Victorian rectory into two dwelling units for the Church. Renovation plans included careful consideration to the existing historic interior fabric of the building, which included improving the energy efficiency of the building. CT&C also planned for a completed restoration of the exterior elements.

Christ Community Baptist Church
Location: 1224 North 41st Street, Philadelphia PA
Contact: Rev. Arthur White, 215-877-4000
Completion Date: 1995
Notes: Initially CT&C assisted the congregation in applying for funding to be used for the necessary architectural analysis of current and future uses of this historic art deco structure, originally a synagogue, and its annex. After the congregation received the necessary funds, CT&C was hired to produce a report addressing code compliance and handicapped accessibility issues.

St. Catherine of Sienna -The Church of the Lord Jesus Christ of the Apostolic Faith
Location: 440 West Penn Street, Philadelphia
Contact: Mr. Anderson Ingram, 215-465-6677
Completion Date: 1994-5
Notes: While this Mediterranean Revival church underwent significant repair and renovations, Bishop Shelton Rapha retained CT&C to plan & design interior renovations that would be in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. The design included a system of unobtrusive terraced ramps and landings along the southwest side without destroying the historic feel of the building. The design also included new and improved bathroom facilities for both levels.

Woodmont, The Mount of the House of the Lord
Location: Gladwyne, Montgomery Co., PA
Client: Palace Mission Church
Contact: Mother Divine, 610-525-5598
Completion Date: 1994
Notes: This study involved helping bring order to Woodmont, which included an analysis and preparing schematic plans for proposed facilities, reuse of the historic buildings, preservation of the landscape, redesign of traffic patterns, and phased cost estimating of improvements that would include a library and visitor's center.

Frankford Friends Meeting
Location: Waln Street, Frankford, Philadelphia, PA
Contact: Joyce Haley, Secretary
Completion Date: 1993
Notes: Frankford Friends Meeting retained CT&C this time to undertake a two phase study, which included renovations to and preservation of the meetinghouse, improvements to ventilation, roof structure, and making facilities accessible to the handicapped.

Christian Love Baptist Church
Location: 32nd St. and Montgomery Avenue, Philadelphia
Contact: Rev. George Gibson, 215-763-1211
Completion Date: 1992
Notes: The Church hired CT&C to do a complete analysis of the existing structural, mechanical, electrical, and programming elements, as well as provide a phased cost estimate report for improvements. CT&C also prepared a City of Philadelphia Historic Certification Application, which was approved by the Historical Commission.

Frankford Friends Meeting
Location: Penn and Orthodox Streets, Frankford, Philadelphia
Contact: Margaret Trickey, Secretary, 215-533-5368
Completion Date: 1991
Notes: This study combined the preservation and expansion of an early 19th century building for school and religious use. It included extensive consensus building and review of multiple alternatives.

The Church of the Lord Jesus Christ of the Apostolic Faith
Location: 18th and South Streets, Philadelphia
Contact: Mr. Anderson Ingram, 215-465-6677
Completion Date: 1990
Notes: CT&C was obtained for a study of the complete renovation of an historic property on South Street for future church offices, Bishop's Residence and broad casting facilities.

St. Peters Episcopal Church
Location: Wayne and Harvey Streets, Germantown, Philadelphia PA
Client: Rouse Urban Housing
Contact: Roy Diamond, 215-567-6196
Completion Date: 1986
Notes: Originally designed by noted Victorian architect Frank Furness, this historically certified structure showed the first signs of vandalism prior to this adaptive reuse. CT&C converted this former rectory into 8 units of shared housing, while abiding by the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Tax credit benefits. The Church negotiated a long-term lease with the developer for this reuse.