Complete Restoration of an Historic Mansion
The first section of
Loudoun Mansion was constructed between 1796 and 1801 originally for
Thomas Wright Armat. The building was constructed at the top of Naglee
Hill in lower Germantown so that Mr. Armat, a Philadelphia merchant,
could see if his ships had come into port. Over the years, the owners
subsequently added on to the house, thus creating a more elaborate
structure. Mr. Armatís granddaughter, Anna, married into the Logan
family and Loudoun remained in the possession of the Logan family
until 1939 when it was willed to the City.
Loudoun remains as one
of the most impressive Federal houses in Germantown, and at one time
contained the most complete collection of family furnishings within
five generations. Unfortunately, in the early summer of 1993,
lightning struck Loudoun which sparked a fire that substantially
damaged the building and its contents.
Campbell Thomas &
Co. was immediately retained to develop an emergency stabilization
plan and a restoration documentation plan for the building. The
restoration plans include incorporating an interior caretakerís unit
and improved handicap access to the building. Also included in the
plan is the construction of fully accessible toilet facilities for the
building and grounds.